What is it?
IGTV is a separate app that hosts long format videos (up to one hour long). These videos are presented (and generally shot) in fullscreen, vertical format. The vertical format gives all the videos a guerrilla-feel: raw, urgent, and unfiltered.
So, it’s like YouTube . . . but for Instagram?
Not quite. IGTV is more similar to television on-demand. Like traditional television, it begins playing as soon as the app opens (as opposed to YouTube, in which users have to seek out the videos they want to play). If you leave in the middle of your video, it will pause itself and pick back up where you left off upon your return. An additional difference is account linkage. IGTV channels must be linked to an Instagram account. In regards to creator compensation, Instagram has stated that it intends to incorporate ways for creators to make money off of their content. Currently, however, advertising options are non-existent.
Why should marketing professionals care about this?
Consumer engagement will be off the charts. Creators can add a swiping call-to-action. Users can like, comment, and share videos to friends within the platform. Brands will have unparalleled flexibility in crafting long form video content. Brands can connect with and incorporate social media influencers via IGTV. You can view IGTV content through the IGTV app or the Instagram app.
- Currently, videos lengths must be between fifteen seconds and ten minutes. Longer times (ranging from 11 minutes to 60 minutes) are only available for verified accounts or accounts with massive numbers of followers.
- Video files must be in .MP4 format.
- The correct (vertical) aspect ratio is 9:16.
- Thumbnails should be in .JPG format.
- Only one channel is allowed for each Instagram account. That means, if you want an additional channel on IGTV, you need to create a corresponding account on Instagram.
- Instagram has produced a guide for video creators.
Do you want to step-up your social media game? Do you want to revise your online marketing strategy? Do you need a guide to navigate the world of digital marketing? You are in luck!