If you own a small business, positioning yourself as the company expert is the easy choice, but in larger companies, the owner or CEO may not want to be the focus. In those cases, another member of staff with a solid online profile can act as the expert spokesperson for social media.
For example, if you are going to market your business on LinkedIn, you will need to either create or use an existing account for your spokesperson.
I strongly suggest using yourself (or one spokesperson only) for a period of time before introducing more experts. With more people, you have more to manage, and you can get watered-down results. You can increase your expert base as your skills and social media acumen grow.
Once you determine your company expert, you will need to compile a comprehensive list of your expertise. Having the items below at the ready is crucial to building your credibility as an expert. These also will help you build strong social media profiles on numerous sites, so this is very important information:
* Professional biography (200-300 words tops)
* Current professional contact information (including phone, address, email, websites, social media links)
* Up-to-date resume or CV (including higher education, past jobs, projects, hobbies and interests)
* Videos or pictures of your presentations, awards, training
* Organization memberships (e.g., Business Networking International, American Marketing Academy)
* Top 20 professional skills
* Honors and awards
* Publications you have written for or are featured in (and PDFs/documents of the content)
* Languages spoken
* Certifications, specialty courses, and test scores
* Volunteer work or causes that you support
* Marketing collateral (brochures, sales sheets, postcards, event sheets)
I know – it’s a big, scary list, right? But if you suck it up and get it done, all you have to do is dip back in once in a while to make updates or add new items. Your expert profile information is most useful on LinkedIn, but it will also serve you well on any social media site where you or your spokesperson will be posting. For example, I use my expert details across LinkedIn, Facebook, Google+ and other social media sites. You can, too!
Need Online Marketing Help?
Fill Out the Form Below and We Will Get Right Back to You!